Most of the time, the DIYers and the carpenters try several ways to connect wood patches together with the help of screws, bolts, glue, and nails. But when we need to splice the wooden pieces together for some structural purpose, we cannot find the above methods helpful.
I have seen how we can connect 2 4×4 posts together on many of the platforms. So, I have found the ways to that question and will share you in the article. Read the article and know the ways to connect 2 4×4 posts together.
How Can We Connect 2 4×4 Posts Together?
We need to connect the posts together for many of the seasons, such as making short or long posts, repairing posts, and building the longer piece for the skid. There are many ways to join the 2 4×4 posts together; some of them are as follows.
What is the General Method of Connecting Posts Together?
- First of all, suspend the post between two tables and drill holes of 4×4 on the marked places that you have marked already at the required places. A 3/8 inch drill machine is suitable for that work.
- You will need to place 4×4 that you drilled on the next to, top of, or on the other post. Next, take a drill machine of 3/8 inch and drill with it a bit back on your drill and wrap a piece of three inches from either end of the post.
- If you need to connect the posts for extended posts on the wood material, then make measurements and cut 4×4 extensions post for the required lengths.
- After that, cut the two sections from the 1×4 inch lumber for both sides’ braces, where the extended post and the older posts will join together.
- We also need to cut 1×6 inch lumber to match the lengths of the first two braces.
But if you need to connect the dowel ends for the posts, then follow below simple methods.
- Start with making holes of 3/16 inches with a drill machine at the centre of the dowel ends to connect them. After that, turn it to the left until you make sure the screw is about halfway into the first dowel.
- You will see this fastener the same as the screw due to its thread, but there will be no head; there will be only threads on both ends.
Some Other Ways to Connect 2 4×4 Posts Together:
There are some other simple ways to connect two 4×4 joints.
Butt Joints Method:
It is one of the simplest ways to connect 2 4×4 posts together, making the end trimmed to join the square and become smooth. You will be able to set any of the angles with a small post, which will act as a shear line and with a smooth but flat surface to connect the posts.
- First of all, replace the damaged section you only need when using it for older posts, not for the newer installation. You will need to place it on a flat surface, such as on a flat table.
- Now take the required size of steel metal plates for securing the butt joints; you can choose any of the metal such as galvanized steel, stainless steel, or coated steel.
- Most of the time, plates are predrilled; if not, then you will need to drill the plates to make holes for joining posts.
- Mark for the holes on the plates and drill the holes in the steel plates for ½ inch; it may vary depending on the plate’s thickness; you can increase or decrease the diameter according to need.
- Make two holes to connect the piece; most of them require 1/1/2 inch between the wood edges but do not provide much space to fasten the 4×4.
- Now with rods or bolts, secure the plates by placing them with clamps, make sure posts are correctly aligned, and level is also correct when ensuring mark holes and then removing the plates and using a drill machine to bore through the posts.
- After that clamp, the plates into the place, put the washer on the bolts, and push the washers through the marked holes on the plates.
- Now check the alignment and make sure everything is adequately placed and the level is accurate.
Butt Joint With Hollow Pipe Inserting Method:
- Another way is the butt joint with a hollow pipe inserting method to connect the two 4×4 posts together. This method takes a hollow 10 inches to 24 inches metal hollow pipe with a diameter of 1 or 1.5 inches.
- Now insert the metal drilled pipe vertically in the hole with two 4×4 to join them; it requires additional reinforcement.
- The pipe will secure in the holes when placed vertically with the help of constructive adhesives. Now insert two half inches bolts through the pipe from top to bottom in the posts pieces and bored them through wood and the pipe.
So there you have the overall procedures. We need to connect 2 4×4 posts together when working with some posts to extend the post or make them short or install the new posts with woody or metal items. It becomes hard sometimes for the carpenters to connect posts together, but we have shared four ways that will help you join the two 4×4 posts together for ease.